Many have asked about how our ministries were affected by typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. The good news is that most of our churches, friends and co-workers are in the north, in and around Manila. The typhoon hit the central part, several hundred miles away. However, many of our friends and co-workers have relatives living in those areas. The devastation is so complete that nearly everyone in the country will have some impact on them through the lives of others.
Here are some prayer points as you lift the Filipino people in prayer.
Search and Rescue Efforts:·
- For communication lines to be restored and roads cleared so help can reach the out-lying and isolated areas. Also pray that families would be able to receive news of their loved ones soon. It is agonizing to be cut off from the effected areas and not know.
- That those who are still alive and needing rescue & consequent medical attention will receive it in time.
- Provision of added manpower in the rescue and relief efforts.
- For law and order to be restored and protection for police and others who have been sent in to help protect the victims. Pray that the looting and violence would be subdued.
- Many towns have not yet been reached to even assess the damage they have suffered. Pray for strength, protection and endurance for those who are making their way to the isolated areas on foot and that they can get there in time to help.
Victims & Relief Efforts:
- For comfort for those who have lost loved ones and for help in reconnecting survivors with their families. Especially pray for children who have lost their parents and have been orphaned in this storm.
- That despite the devastation, Christians in each area that was hit by the typhoon would be able to continue to put their trust in God and be used by Him to minister to others around them. Pray that the Body of Christ would be united and equipped to be God’s hands and feet.
- That many would be drawn to Christ through this calamity
- For generous hearts and abundant provision from around the globe to help in this crisis.
- That God would prevent corrupt hands from tampering with the aid that is being sent in and that all organizations and churches that are receiving funds and relief goods would have great wisdom in how to handle those donations with integrity and would be equipped to get them to those in need as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- For protection for all who are bringing in the relief goods. The people are desperate and many are resorting to violence to obtain what they need
- For abundant medical supplies and staff to care for the wounded
- For food and safe drinking water to be plentiful and for wisdom in how to distribute these treasured items to those who are lining up for help
- For wisdom in how to deal with the large number of corpses and for protection from the spread of disease and sickness in the hard-hit and highly populated areas.
- For those who are leaving their homes and moving to Manila or other areas. Pray for their safe travel, transition and that God would use the many churches across the Philippines to be places of refuge for these displaced and hurting people.
- For long-term healing from this trauma…physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.
- That God’s love would shine even brighter than ever before in this dark hour in the Philippines and that hearts would be open and hungry for a living relationship with Jesus Christ.
If you would like to give to the victims of the storm in the Philippines, OMS has set up an account through their website. The money will be forwarded in the Philippines to PHILRADS (Philippines Relief and Development Society) of the Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches who have contacts on the ground in the hard hit areas. To give online, go to http://www.onemissionsociety.org/give/express-give and use account # 407720 in the project box, or send a check to One Mission Society, P.O. Box A, Greenwood, IN 46142 and on the memo line put “Philippines Project #407720”. Thank you!
Brent and Kim Burdick